Established in 1996 with the goal of identifying Australia’s emerging designers, the Next Gen prize maximises visibility and sales opportunities for four winning designers by providing them with the opportunity to showcase their creative excellence on the runway at Afterpay Australian Fashion Week.
Applications for Next Gen 2022 are now open.
WHO CAN APPLY
Next Gen is open to all Australian citizens currently residing in Australia, and Australian permanent residents aged 18 years and older.
To apply, you must have been producing apparel within the categories of either ready-to-wear (womenswear, menswear or gender neutral collections), Resort and/or evening wear for a maximum of five years (at the time of submitting your application) under a registered Australian business name with an ABN. You should have an essential focus on sustainable and ethical business practices and demonstrate an innovative use of fabrics and textiles.
HOW TO APPLY
To apply for Next Gen, you should submit the following:
- A PDF version of your most recent lookbook
- PDF versions of your most recent sketches
- A brand overview or brand book including essential information including designer biography, registered ABN, contact details, links to your ecommerce and social media
- A list of current stockists, including their locations
The 2022 Next Gen prize is valued at over $100,000 and includes:
- Four winners featured in a dedicated runway show on the official AAFW schedule, including show production, models and hair and makeup
- Content package including livestream, runway photography and video
- Dedicated Next Gen panel discussion on the official AAFW schedule
- Dedicated PR, social media and digital marketing strategy
- $2,000 DHL International shipping credits with DHL Express for each winners
- One on one meeting with a DHL Fashion logistics expert
- Promotion across DHL global social networks
Leading industry experts will select one winner from hundreds of applications, before judging the winners in the following phases:
- Applications open
- Top ten applicants are selected
- Top ten applicants are required to submit business plan and submit a Q&A
- Top six applicants are required to submit a lookbook of their most recent collection
- Top four winners are selected